Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Run for the Troops 5k

This past Saturday, the husband and I participated in the Run for the Troops 5k to benefit the Yellow Ribbon Foundation. We signed up for the race sort of on a whim - we hadn't run in about 2 weeks since the Columbus Half but B had to have the camo race shirt!

Going into the race I didn't have any expectations. I wanted to break 30 minutes, but I wasn't very confident of that happening. The gun went off and all 84 of us started....

Mile 1 - 9:19
Mile 2 - 9:22
Mile 3 - 9:53

The pace started to feel really uncomfortable late in mile 2, but by then I knew that I could potentially break my 30 minute target. We slowed down in mile 3 and ended up being passed by some "stroller" traffic. I picked up the pace once the finish line was in sight, and ended up passing a few people to ensure a sub-30 minute time.

Official Time - 29:39

Not only did I earn a shiny new PR, but I came in 1st in my age group (out of 3, but it still counts, right?!)! Obviously I'm happy with my performance! Imagine how much better it could have gone with a little bit of training.....



No comments:

Post a Comment